The Portland State Library invites applications to its pilot project, Open Access Article Processing Charge Fund. The Library has set aside $15,000 to be awarded. This fund supports open access scholarship by PSU authors by paying article processing charges publication in open access journals. Funds will be awarded to eligible authors on a first-come first-served basis, and funds will be awarded until funds are expended.
FAQWhat is an open access (OA) journal?
Open access journals provide immediate global online access to articles with minimal or no copyright limitations. Readers anywhere in the world with Internet access may read, download, copy, and distribute that article with attribution to the original author.
Do open access journals employ peer review?
Absolutely. OA journals are differentiated by their business models, not in their manner of editing or peer review. There are thousands of peer-reviewed open access journals; currently, hundreds of them are indexed in Web of Science; inclusion in Web of Science is an indicator of high quality and high impact.
What types of fees are covered by the fund?
(for example: publication charges, illustration and color fees)
Fees associated with the cost of making an article readily available are covered by the fund. Costs for reprints, color illustration fees, non-open access page charges, administrative charges and other fees are not applicable.
- PSU faculty who are the sole or lead author of the work are eligible to receive funds.
- Works written by postdoctoral and graduate student lead authors will be accepted if co-authored by a PSU faculty member.
- Research must be unfunded, or funded under the amount of $15,000. For example, grants that allow payment of APCs for funded research are ineligible.
- Upon award, documentation of article submission must occur within 4 weeks in order to retain funding.
- Authors must include the following statement in the article’s acknowledgments:
“This article’s publication was funded by the Portland State University Open Access Article Processing Charge Fund, administered by the Portland State University Library.”
- Authors agree to deposit a final published version of the article into the institutional repository, PDXScholar, for long-term preservation and collocation with other author, department, college, and university scholarship.
- Funded articles must be published in fully open access journals, with articles publicly available at the time of publication.
- Journals must have their fee schedule publicly available online.
- Journals must meet the following criteria:
- The publisher is compliant with the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association’s Code of Conduct.
- The journal is listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) or meets DOAJ selection criteria.
- Hybrid journals are ineligible (journals that charge subscriptions and also enable specific articles to be made Open Access via author payment). Compliance will be confirmed as part of the application review.
- The maximum reimbursement is $2,000 for a single article. The author is responsible for either negotiating down or paying any amount over $2,000. Additional funding can be applied as needed, for example, from an IPDA.
- Articles will be supported on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are expended.
- Funded awards must be expended within 12 months.
- Once approved, the author may direct the journal to send the invoice to the Library for payment.
- Complete the PSU OA APC application form.
- Requests may be made at the time an article is accepted.
- Payment for approved applications will be made directly to the journal on the author’s behalf.
- Authors will be notified of their application status via email.