To lead the intellectual vitality, knowledge development, and creativity of the Portland State University community.
Placing ourselves at the center of intellectual inquiry at Portland State University
The Portland State University Library is committed to the following values:
Guided by the principles of intellectual freedom and the protection of privacy, we build trust through accountability and fiscal responsibility. We act with honesty, openness, fairness, and professionalism in our interactions with each other, our collaborators, and those served by the Library.
We build and provide access to high quality collections and services. With a focus on critical thinking, we teach our community to evaluate resources. We build tools that enable knowledge creation and intellectual vitality to flourish.
Equity and Inclusion
We aspire to make the PSU community feel welcome in the Library. We actively support recognition and respect for different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are committed to the success of all.
We strive to be embedded in campus life and aware of the PSU community’s needs. Using innovative approaches, we connect people and knowledge. We meet the challenges of an ever evolving environment through collaboration, creativity, flexibility, and the empowerment of individuals.
Through collaboration and teamwork, we invite partnerships with the University community and the greater Portland community. We are committed to open and respectful communication that is vital to successful collaboration.
We identify, preserve, and ensure access to the scholarly and historic records of lasting value to the PSU community. We practice sustainable collection management by building and nurturing supportive relationships within the Library, our campus, and the broader community.
- Equity and inclusion
- Student and faculty focused
Areas of Focus and Objectives
In a changing environment, how do we prepare for challenges?
- Provide and improve essential services and spaces
- Develop and support relevant collections and resources
- Implement agile and effective processes and structures
In a changing environment, how do we embrace and create opportunities?
- Identify and strategically cultivate areas of strength, leadership, and expertise
- Promote and leverage ongoing initiatives and successes
- Develop and sustain collaborations with new and existing partners
How do we continue to positively engage and effectively support the communities we serve?
- Identify and implement programs and services to support our communities, including collaborations with campus organizations and student groups
- Foster a more secure, comfortable, and welcoming environment
How do we develop and maintain a positive library culture?
- Cultivate engagement of library employees
- Identify and support career development and mentoring opportunities for library employees, including student employees