The 3D printer is available to Portland State University students, faculty, and staff to make three-dimensional objects in PLA plastic using a design that is uploaded from a digital computer file.
Only authorized Library staff will have hands-on access to the 3D printer.
- Items printed from the 3D printer that are not picked up within 14 days after being printed become the property of the Library.
- Items must be picked up by the individual who submitted the print request, or one of their designated proxies, using their University ID or equivalent identification.
The 3D printer may be used only for lawful purposes. Users will not be permitted to use the 3D printer to create material that is:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Prohibited by the Portland State University Student Code of Conduct or Professional Standards of Conduct.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the University environment, such as pornography.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the printer will not be used to reproduce material subject to copyright, patent, or trademark protection.
- 3D printing will cost $0.15/gram, calculated upon the weight of the finished, printed object.
- Charges for 3D printed objects will be added to patrons’ Banner accounts when the object has completed printing and is available for pickup.
The Library reserves the right to:
- Refuse any 3D print request.
- Use staff discretion to organize the print queue for overall efficient output.
- Place the 3D printer in a public area of the library, where it will be possible for library patrons to view the object(s) being printed.
- Gather feedback from users.
- Implement additional requirements not listed here.