Library late fines and replacement charges help keep Library materials circulating and available to all members of the Portland State University community. The Library is based on the idea of shared resources, and fines and replacement charges help ensure that materials are returned and available to others, or replaced in a timely manner. All Library users are subject to fines and fees. Persistent misuse of borrowing privileges may also result in loss of borrowing privileges. The Library seeks to keep borrowers informed of when their books are due through notices, but it is each borrower's responsibility to know when items are due and to return items on time. You can check your account on the Library website and renew books online, unless they have been recalled or reached the renewal limit.
Please note that the $35 processing fee is non-refundable. When we have to replace an item, funding is spent on billing, ordering, cataloging, labeling the item, and getting the item on the shelf. The Library is not able
to function as a bookstore; failure to return items will result in non-refundable
Reasons generally not considered include (but are not limited to):
- Disagreement with Library fine/fee structure
- Material loaned to a third party
- Material not reasonably protected from theft
- Non-receipt of an overdue notice
- Returning items to library other than PSU
- Returning reserves to book-drops instead of Circulation Counter
- Being out of town or forgetting the due date
- Term breaks, leaves, vacations, or exams
You will receive a response within two weeks.