- As you read write down the main points and anything that relates to your specific topic. It can also be helpful to highlight information in your copy of the article.
- Once you have finished reading a source, write down a few notes on how it might fit into your research assignment.
- What is the main theme of the work?
- How does this work relate to other resources on the subject?
- What questions does this resource bring up?
- Do you agree with the author? Why or why not?
ParaphraseParaphrasing is restating information in your own words rather than copying directly when taking notes. This will help you understand the material and reduce the chances of accidentally committing plagiarismPlagiarism is when you present someone else's work or ideas as your own..
If you find something you want to quoteQuotation is when you use someone else's exact words in your work. All quotations must be fully cited., make sure you copy it down exactly and include the page number where it's located.
For more on note-taking see the PSU Writing Center.Click here to see a sample note-taking format