Policy on Children in the Portland State University Library
Purpose: As part of a diverse academic community, the Portland State University Library welcomes parents with children. The University Library provides an unsupervised adult environment for the purpose of academic research and in support of the University's curriculum; therefore parents are responsible for their children's safety and behavior. This policy is established to maintain an appropriate academic environment and to encourage parents to ensure the safety of their children.
- All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied and directly supervised by an adult at all times while in the Library.
- The Library does not have full-time security on-site. In this open, unsupervised, and urban environment, parents are responsible for their children's safety.
- The collections, access to the Internet, works of art, and exhibits are intended for academic research and open discourse, and are not censored. Parents are responsible for monitoring and controlling the content to which their children have access.
- Children on Library computers must yield computer workstations for use by PSU affiliates.
- To preserve an appropriate academic environment, loud or disruptive behavior is not permitted. Parents are responsible for their children's behavior.
- The Library provides a Family Friendly Study Room for use by students with children. Ask at the Circulation Desk on the first floor for more information.
Version date: 5/02/09, Approved by University Counsel 6/6/09