Proposals to Host Library Instruction West 2018
Soon after the close of Library Instruction West 2014, we will be begin to accept applications from institutions or organizations interested in hosting the 13th Library Instruction West, in 2018.
Here are some things to consider if you are interested in hosting Library Instruction West.
Support from your institution/organization is important (this includes available facilities and staff support).
- The conference is grassroots (it is not formally affiliated with any parent organization); it is run by the conference hosts with no formal structure, dues, or governance. The money to run the conference comes from registration fees.
- Registration fees should be kept reasonable. The 2012 registration fees were $240 and $75 for the preconference, which included all conference meals.
- Attendance ranges between 175-250 people.
- Think about a potential planning committee (who on your library's staff will be involved?) and your team's experience and ability to host a large event.
- Housing: it is essential to have hotels or residences nearby. Affordable housing in a dorm is a plus.
- Transportation: access to your location (nearby airports, public transit to get around your city/town, etc.) is a key factor.
- The possibility for activities or excursions for attendees outside of sessions is a plus.
- Any additional money left over from the conference usually goes to future conference planning efforts.
You may also want to explore the history of the conference and visit websites of previous conferences. Feel free to contact members of the current and previous conference committees if you have questions about hosting.