Purpose and Procedures
Library late fines and replacement charges help keep library materials circulating and available to all members of the Portland State University community. The library is based on the idea of shared resources, and fines and replacement charges help ensure that materials are returned and available to others. All library users are subject to fines and fees. Persistent misuse of borrowing privileges may also result in loss of said privileges.
High demand items not returned within 12 hours of due date/time may be billed for replacement. These include but are not limited to Course Reserves and recalled material.
The Library seeks to keep borrowers informed of when their books are due through notices but it is each borrower's responsibility to know when items are due and to return them on time. You can check your account on the Library Web site and renew books online.
Fees (effective July 1, 2010)
|Portland State Library||$.50/day per item
|Summit||$.50/day for item
|Interlibrary Loan||As assessed by the lending library|
|Recalled items||$.50/day surcharge|
1, 2, 4 hour item:
|Housed at Circulation
||2 hour item2:
|Housed at Circulation
4 hour item3:
$75 for replacement + non-refundable $35 in processing charges.
1. Charges for reserves items that have been declared LOST are NON-REFUNDABLE. These charges will include the cost of the item, processing, and shipping. Reserves items may be billed and replaced within 12 hours to ensure accessibility to these high-demand items.
2. 2 hour checkouts for items housed at circulation are materials from the Reserve library
3. 4 hour checkouts for items housed at circulation are headphones and VHS/DVD's
4. 7 day checkouts for items housed at circulation are VHS/DVD's
Appeals should be made to the Library within 30 days of the original billing by the Business Office. Appeals are most commonly granted in the case of demonstrated library error or documented medical issue. You can appeal library charges by submitting a Petition for Waiver of Portland State Library Charges. We will respond to your appeal as soon as we are able to look into the pertinent records. If we need clarification, we may give you a call, so please be sure to include your phone number.
Please do not submit medical documents in support of a claim. Medical records are private, and we don't need to see them. A document from a physician specifically stating that you were unable to return library items on time is generally sufficient.
Please note that the $35 processing fee is non-refundable.
Summit fines may not be waived. These fines are for items owned by other libraries.
Reasons generally not considered valid for waiving or reducing library charges include (but are not limited to):
- Lack of knowledge of library policy
- Disagreement with library fine/fee structure
- Inability to pay library fees or charges
- Material loaned to a third party
- Material not reasonably protected from theft
- Non-receipt of an overdue notice*
- Returning items to library other than PSU library
- Returning reserves items to bookdrops instead of to the Circulation Counter
- Being out of town
- Forgetting the due date
- Term breaks, leaves, vacations, exams
*Non-receipt of an overdue notice does not exempt you from late fees or charges. Borrowers are informed of due dates when items are borrowed. Notices of overdue materials are sent as a courtesy reminder. It is your responsibility to ensure your current email address is in your Portland State Library record.
|Questions? Contact Circulation|
Location: Circulation Desk, 1st Floor Millar Library
Hours: Current Hours