A book scanning station is now available for demonstration in the Library Research Center (LRC), 2nd floor ML220 lab.
The book-edge scanner will be available until April 27, 2012, for use by staff, faculty, students, and visiting researchers. The book scanning station offers a unique book-edge design that allows users to scan pages right up to the bound margin near the spine, without damaging books. With a few simple touches, the user can scan and save full color scans of books or bound serials. Material that was previously difficult to scan or copy can be easily scanned into digital format with searchable text. The practice of scanning books into digital format also promotes less use of ink and paper used by copiers and printers.
The station is located just behind the main reference desk next to the technology support desk. Students at the help desk will be on hand to assist users during most daytime hours.
Features of the station include:
- Touch-screen operation
- Scan to email (works with pdx.edu email addresses) and scan to USB
- Auto-crop, auto-rotation, on-screen editing, and page reordering
- Output formats to searchable PDF, Quick PDF, JPEG, PNG, Rich Text (RTF), and Audio (MP3)
- Large format 11.7” x 17” (A3) scan-to-edge design for scanning bound books and journals
- Full color scans up to 600 dpi
Your feedback is appreciated. Please leave your comments with the lab attendant or use a form that will be available near the station.