The Center for Online Learning and the Center for Academic Excellence are moving to Millar Library!
Millar Library will soon be welcoming a new unit on the third floor of Millar Library. Though the unit’s new name has yet to be determined, it will represent a merger of the Center for Online Learning (COL) and the Center for Academic Excellence (CAE). The new unit will continue to collaborate with departments, programs, and faculty by providing innovative, research-based instructional design for online courses and hybrid courses, and, as with CAE, include partnerships with faculty who may teach F2F while keeping the focus shared by both units to assist faculty dedicated to excellence in teaching, learning, assessment, research, and community-university partnerships.
Between July 30 and September 21, some library collections will be moving to clear space for the offices to be constructed.
- Compact shelving (example in image to the right) will be installed in the northeast wing of the basement in Millar Library. Books and journals with call numbers HD to HJ (business, transportation, finance, public finance, and taxation) will be shelved in compact shelving. Books in compact shelving are readily accessible to library users.
- Books and journals with call numbers HM to HN (sociology, social history, problems, and reform) will move from the third floor to the east side of the basement in Millar and will be shelved along the curved walls.
- Books and journals with call numbers HQ to JC (child and family studies, women, gender and sexuality studies, urban studies and planning, social work, criminology, legislative and executive papers, general political science, and political theory) will move from the NW wing of the 3rd Floor of Millar to the SE wing of the 3rd floor.
- Most of the microfilm and microfiche will be moving to storage at the Library Annex. They may be retrieved for use via the Storage Request Form and will be brought to Millar within one business day.
- Microfilm backfiles of the Oregonian and the Vanguard will move to the 2nd floor of Millar.
- Film and fiche technical reports from the Atomic Energy Commission, the Department of Energy, and the Hanford Nuclear Reservation will move to the 4th floor of Millar.
- LP records will be moved to storage at the Annex and can be retrieved within one business day.
Starting in late September, Facilities and Planning will be constructing the new offices for the COL and the CAE. They expect to complete the move to Millar Library in early March, 2013.
These maps show how the Library plans to shift materials to clear space for the offices to be constructed on the third floor.
Keep track of updates about the project at http://library.pdx.edu/ml_3rdfloor.html.