The Map Collection houses many types of aeronautical charts published by various government agencies. Charts cover regions throughout the world.
Note: None of the charts housed in the Map Collection are updated re: Notices to Airmen.
Military Intelligence Agency Charts
The following series have been published by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), the successor to National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) and the Defense Mapping Agency (DMA). Some of these series have been discontinued and no longer updated. They are filed in File Cabinet 10:
GNC- Global Navigation & Planning Charts- D 5.354:GNC
Indexes: Standard Index Chart (In first drawer containing GNCs)
These charts support air operations requiring long range, high speed, high altitude aerospace navigation; specifically, transports, tankers, and long-range bombers. Primary information on the GNC identifies vertical obstructions to flight, aid navigation features, and landing options.
National Imagery and Mapping Agency Public Sale Aeronautical Charts and Publications pp. 36-37 (MAP ROOM- C 55.418/3:)
- JNC- Jet Navigation Charts- D 5.354:JNC
Indexes: Standard Index Chart (In first drawer containing JNCs)
These charts support high-altitude computer assisted radar navigation/bombing by strategic aircraft. Information considerations are selected to support celestial, radar, and dead reckoning navigation.
National Imagery and Mapping Agency Public Sale Aeronautical Charts and Publications pp. 38-39 (MAP ROOM- C 55.418/3:)
- ONC- Operational Navigation Charts- D 5.354:ONC
Indexes: Standard Index Chart (In first drawer containing ONCs)
These are the standard worldwide small-scale aeronautical charts designed for medium altitude (2,000 to 25,000 feet above ground level), high-speed, visual and radar navigation.
National Imagery and Mapping Agency Public Sale Aeronautical Charts and Publications pp. 34-35 (MAP ROOM- C 55.418/3:)
- TPC- Tactical Pilotage Charts- D 5.354:TPC
Indexes: Standard Index Chart (In first drawer containing TPCs)
These support high-speed, low-altitude radar, and visual navigation of high-performance tactical and reconnaissance aircraft from low to medium altitudes. They are designed to assist close-air operations by providing visual and radar navigation information.
National Imagery and Mapping Agency Public Sale Aeronautical Charts and Publications pp. 31-33 (MAP ROOM- C 55.418/3:)
COMMERCE DEPT / DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION CHARTS
The publication of aeronautical charts originally produced by the Commerce Department is slowly being transferred to the Dept. of Transportation.
Unless noted otherwise, all of the charts below are indexed in Aeronautical Charts and Related Products (MAP ROOM & READY REFERENCE- C 55.418/2:). You will find these charts on top of Map Cases 9-11.
- Helicopter Route Charts- C 55.416/12- :
- Airport/Facility Directory- TD 4.79: & TD 4.79/2:AK
- Chart Supplement Pacific- TD 4.79/3:
- North Atlantic Route Charts- TD 4.79/9:
- North Pacific Route Charts- TD 4.79/10: & 10-1:
- Sectional Aeronautical Charts- TD 4.79/11:
- VFR Terminal Area Charts- TD 4.79/12:
- U.S. Gulf Coast VFR Aeronautical Chart- TD 4.79/13:
- Grand Canyon VFR Aeronautical Chart- TD 4.79/13-6:
- World Aeronautical Charts- TD 4.79/14:
- IFR Enroute Low Altitude Charts- TD 4.79/15:& 16:
- IFR Area Charts- TD 4.79/16-2:
- IFR/VFR Low Altitude Planning Charts- TD 4.79/16-3:
- IFR Enroute High Altitude Charts- TD 4.79/17: & 17-2:
- U.S Terminal Procedures- TD 4.80:
Indexes: "Change Notice" and the back of each volume serve as indexes.
In addition to the indexes listed above, you may wish to consult the following item, which provides an explication of terms and symbols used on various charts.
Aeronautical Chart User's Guide (READY REFERENCE- C 55.408:AE 8)