The Portland State University Library is a 21st century library at the center of the academic life of our students and faculty. We support research, teaching and learning at Portland State amidst a constantly changing environment. We are dedicated to improving student success, providing the information resources faculty and students need, and offering outstanding special collections and archives featuring unique materials that delight and engage our community. We strive to be a great library that constantly adapts, rethinks, innovates, and looks to the future, while also being thoughtful stewards of our intellectual past.
Support Student Success
Support student success in ways that improve student learning, provide positive student experiences, and contribute to student retention and graduation.
- Collaborate with faculty and other student success partners to integrate in-person and point-of-need learning opportunities
- Enhance the library’s virtual learning spaces through continuous improvement of its online presence and integration with University online learning environments
- Provide high quality information discovery and access tools, and integrate at point of need
- Look for ways to help decrease the cost of instructional educational resources for our students
- Assess and evaluate library resources, services, and practices to determine the best ways to support student success
- Offer inviting and diverse study and learning environments within Millar Library that meet a range of student needs
Enable Faculty Success
Enhance faculty success in their research and teaching through vibrant partnerships with library faculty and staff. Provide access to high quality information resources.
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure efficient and reliable access to the information resources they require for research and teaching
- Continue the development of strong liaison librarian-faculty relationships
- Facilitate the use of library materials in teaching
- Increase faculty awareness of resources and services
- Support faculty participating in reTHINK PSU Provost’s Challenge projects
- Assist faculty with data management planning related to grant applications and other research projects
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure students master learning outcomes related to critical thinking and effective use of information that prepare them for the global economy
- Assist and collaborate with faculty in identifying publishing options, especially open access and newly emerging forms of digital publishing
Expand Resources and Improve Effectiveness
Expand and use resources strategically while constantly improving our effectiveness.
- Review processes and procedures to identify changes that may result in more streamlined and effective workflows
- Prioritize Library Development activities in order to strategically expand our resources
- Encourage and support professional development and training opportunities for library faculty and staff, along with skills assessment and improvement
- Seek efficiencies through strategic upfront investments
- Assess user needs for and satisfaction with library services and resources
- Provide continued evaluation of current resources and services to identify areas of improvement and replacement
- Prioritize using resources to provide high quality and effective basic services
Set PSU Apart
Collaborate with students and faculty to gather, preserve, and make accessible the intellectual work of the University; digitize and make accessible unique materials and collections; provide services for publishing and hosting conferences.
- Preserve and provide open access to the scholarly work of PSU faculty and significant student work in the institutional repository PDXScholar
- Collaborate with faculty to publish, in an open access format, monographs, journals, articles, conference materials, and course materials
- Provide digital access to unique collections in PSU Library’s Archives and Special Collections
- Analyze and assess the unique aspects of our library collections and institutional intellectual contributions and highlight and showcase those aspects
- Invest in Special Collections and University Archives, expanding resources devoted to these efforts
Engage Our Community
Extend the Library’s impact to the local and regional community through outreach, programs, and collaborations, and to the broader library community through scholarship and service to professional organizations.
- Develop strategic partnerships with PSU programs that reach out to the Portland-area community
- Develop and assess collaborations with regional libraries and universities and external organizations such as the Orbis Cascade Alliance and Oregon Health and Sciences University (OHSU)
- Develop a communication plan for reaching the broader community in a targeted and impactful way
- Pursue scholarly activities that contribute to the field of librarianship
- Develop relationships with key campus units and student groups
FY 15 Priorities
Library and University Planning
Portland State University will engage in strategic planning during FY 15. Part of this process will also support and inform strategic planning at the unit level. The Library will be completing its individual strategic plan as part of this process. The Library will also engage in budgetary and personnel planning.
Engaging in Campus-level Initiatives and Priorities
Library faculty and staff will actively engage in and contribute to university-wide initiatives and priority areas.
Space and Collection Planning
Improve effective use of Library Space and make long-term plans to position the Library for renovations. Manage Library collections to enable effective use our physical collections. Plan for ways to provide more and better quality study space; space for collaborative learning; and technology-enhanced areas.
Develop strategies for optimizing the acquisitions budget to support opportunities for retaining and acquiring access to information resources, especially through the Orbis Cascade Alliance.
As librarians increasingly provide instruction for online only and hybrid classes, strengthened relationships with the Office of Academic Innovation and related professional development opportunities are valuable. Optimize the availability and use of learning objects in order to assist the greater Portland State University community in identifying, locating, analyzing, evaluating, using, and referencing information.
Provide uninterrupted 24/7 reference service to the greater Portland State University community by examining our virtual reference platform and service options
Digital Scholarship, Publishing, Digital Initiatives, Data Management & Scholarly Communications
Expand awareness of scholarly communication services and improve scholarly communication materials for users. Continue to expand awareness of PDXScholar and our services. Expand awareness of data management services on campus and extend the services offered beyond help developing data management plans.
Shared Integrated Library System (SILS)
Implement features and functionality of the Orbis Cascade Alliance SILS. Use SILS efficiencies to optimize end-user experiences and staff resources. Continue the refinement and customization of Primo and Alma to meet the needs of the Portland State community.
Create a more dynamic and virtual presence that meets the needs of our broad spectrum of Library patrons, takes advantage of current technologies, and provides a sound foundation for managing both content and systems moving forwards.
Website and Related Systems
Continue development of the Library’s website and related systems. Establish policies and practices for effectively managing and supporting the website.
Increase development activities and results in order to provide additional funding and opportunities for the Library. This includes annual fund giving, asks to individual donors, stewardship of donors, development of proposals, and communications to current and potential donors.
Communications & Outreach
Develop and implement a comprehensive library communications plan that includes key messages, with the goal of increasing use of current collections and services and increasing interest from donors and potential donors in PSU Library. Communication channels include digital signage, library news, library mailings, social media, print brochures and handouts, liaison communications with faculty, and University Communications.
Review, analyze, and catalog our current assessment efforts and data. Explore alternatives to current practices and new opportunities.
Provide Civic Leadership Through Partnerships
Lead as a civic partner, deepen our engagement as a critical community asset, demonstrate leadership in regional innovation, and serve as an anchor institution in the Metro area.
Improve Student Success
Ensure a student experience that results in higher satisfaction, retention, and graduation rates.
Achieve Global Excellence
Distinguish the institution nationally and internationally through the accomplishments of its faculty, reputation of its programs, and preparation of its students for the global economy.
Enhance Educational Opportunity
Ease the transition and create more effective pathways for students to move from K-12 to higher education.
Expand Resources and Improve Effectiveness
Expand resources in each of the funding streams (state, private, business partnerships, research, tuition), manage resources effectively, and match investments to strategic priorities.