The Portland State University Library is a 21st century library at the center of the academic life of our students and faculty. We support research, teaching and learning at Portland State amidst a constantly changing environment. We are dedicated to improving student success, providing the information resources faculty and students need, and offering outstanding special collections and archives featuring unique materials that delight and engage our community. We strive to be a great library that constantly adapts, rethinks, innovates, and looks to the future, while also being thoughtful stewards of our intellectual past.
Complete FY 2014 Plan (PDF)
Support Student Success
Support student success in ways that improve student learning, provide positive student experiences, and contribute to student retention and graduation.
- Collaborate with faculty and other student success partners to integrate in-person and point-of-need learning opportunities
- Enhance the library’s virtual learning spaces through continuous improvement of its online presence and integration with University online learning environments
- Provide high quality information discovery and access tools, and integrate at point of need
- Look for ways to help decrease the cost of instructional educational resources for our students
- Assess and evaluate library resources, services, and practices to determine the best ways to support student success
- Offer inviting and diverse study and learning environments within Millar Library that meet a range of student needs
Enable Faculty Success
Enhance faculty success in their research and teaching through vibrant partnerships with library faculty and staff. Provide access to high quality information resources.
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure efficient and reliable access to the information resources they require for research and teaching
- Continue the development of strong liaison librarian-faculty relationships
- Facilitate the use of library materials in teaching
- Increase faculty awareness of resources and services
- Support faculty participating in reTHINK PSU Provost’s Challenge projects
- Assist faculty with data management planning related to grant applications and other research projects
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure students master learning outcomes related to critical thinking and effective use of information that prepare them for the global economy
- Assist and collaborate with faculty in identifying publishing options, especially open access and newly emerging forms of digital publishing
Expand Resources and Improve Effectiveness
Expand and use resources strategically while constantly improving our effectiveness.
- Review processes and procedures to identify changes that may result in more streamlined and effective workflows
- Prioritize Library Development activities in order to strategically expand our resources
- Encourage and support professional development and training opportunities for library faculty and staff, along with skills assessment and improvement
- Seek efficiencies through strategic upfront investments
- Assess user needs for and satisfaction with library services and resources
- Provide continued evaluation of current resources and services to identify areas of improvement and replacement
- Prioritize using resources to provide high quality and effective basic services
Set PSU Apart
Collaborate with students and faculty to gather, preserve, and make accessible the intellectual work of the University; digitize and make accessible unique materials and collections; provide services for publishing and hosting conferences.
- Preserve and provide open access to the scholarly work of PSU faculty and significant student work in the institutional repository PDXScholar
- Collaborate with faculty to publish, in an open access format, monographs, journals, articles, conference materials, and course materials
- Provide digital access to unique collections in PSU Library's Archives and Special Collections
- Analyze and assess the unique aspects of our library collections and institutional intellectual contributions and highlight and showcase those aspects
- Invest in Special Collections and University Archives, expanding resources devoted to these efforts
Engage Our Community
Extend the Library's impact to the local and regional community through outreach, programs, and collaborations, and to the broader library community through scholarship and service to professional organizations.
- Develop strategic partnerships with PSU programs that reach out to the Portland-area community
- Develop and assess collaborations with regional libraries and universities and external organizations such as the Orbis Cascade Alliance and Oregon Health and Sciences University (OHSU)
- Develop a communication plan for reaching the broader community in a targeted and impactful way
- Pursue scholarly activities that contribute to the field of librarianship
- Develop relationships with key campus units and student groups
LIBRARY FY14 PRIORITIES
These priorities will enable the Library to succeed in each of the Library’s themes, both now and in the future.
Space and Collection Planning
Improve effective use of Library space. Each year, use of the Library building increases while circulation of print materials decreases, and we spend over 80% of our acquisitions budget on electronic materials. Library users request more study space, more space for collaborative learning, more space for solo/quiet study, and more comfortable seating. Despite these facts, the Library’s physical collections arrangement is very much based on a print-material model.
Increase development activities and results in order to provide additional funding and opportunities for the Library. This includes annual fund giving, asks to individual donors, stewardship of donors, development of proposals, and communications to current and potential donors.
Identify and implement strategies for getting the most out of our acquisitions budget. This will allow us to be more responsive to PSU needs and to take better advantage of opportunities for acquiring access to information resources.
Articulate and improve the library's approach to instruction, integrating formal and informal opportunities for student learning across the curriculum. This holistic approach will set the stage for improving the instruction program’s effectiveness and sustainability.
- Infrastructure for Scholarly Communications and Library Publishing
Provide a greater array of services highlighting and supporting PSU’s scholarship and unique collections, transition to the Digital Commons infrastructure for PDXScholar and implement SelectedWorks, publishing, and conference administration services.
- Shared Integrated Library System
Transition to new Orbis Cascade Alliance SILS with work beginning Fall 2013 through migration date, July 2014.
- Virtual Presence
Create a more dynamic and virtual presence that meets the needs of our broad spectrum of Library patrons, takes advantage of current technologies, and provides a sound foundation for managing both content and systems moving forwards.
LIBRARY STRATEGIC PLAN 2012-2014 GOALS
- Maximize student/faculty access to high-quality information resources, despite significant budgetary challenges.
- Enhance the Library’s ability to provide information expertise for the campus community, focusing on changing forms of academic information creation, discovery, content, and delivery, and their impact on users.
- Improve collaborative teaching efforts with faculty to ensure students’ academic success.
- Create and maintain technology-rich and resource-rich physical and virtual spaces for collaborative and individual learning in a shared academic environment.
- Provide Civic Leadership Through Partnerships
Lead as a civic partner, deepen our engagement as a critical community asset, demonstrate leadership in regional innovation, and serve as an anchor institution in the Metro area.
- Improve Student Success
Ensure a student experience that results in higher satisfaction, retention, and graduation rates.
- Achieve Global Excellence
Distinguish the institution nationally and internationally through the accomplishments of its faculty, reputation of its programs, and preparation of its students for the global economy.
- Enhance Educational Opportunity
Ease the transition and create more effective pathways for students to move from K-12 to higher education.
- Expand Resources and Improve Effectiveness
Expand resources in each of the funding streams (state, private, business partnerships, research, tuition), manage resources effectively, and match investments to strategic priorities.